Covering the Basics of Learning How to Read the Polish Alphabet
Before you get into learning how to speak and read Polish, you'll want to know the basics of the alphabet first. If you've ever attempted to learn Polish before, it's probably no surprise to you that it has the reputation of being one of the most difficult languages in the world to learn. We're here to debunk that myth and share with you an easy way to learn Polish faster than you could have imagined!
Just like English, the first step to mastering Polish is to learn the alphabet and familiarize yourself with the language's unique writing system. Once you have that down, you'll be able to cruise your way to Polish fluency in a relatively short period of time. After you've grasped the basics of the Polish alphabet and have a good understanding of how the writing system works, you can proceed to learning how to read essential phrases and sentences.
You may not think that Polish and English have very much in common, but you might be surprised to know that as Poland has received quite a bit of Latin influence throughout history, many vocabulary words in both Polish and English are very similar. Although there might be stark differences in terms of grammar and pronunciation, you should approach learning the language with a positive attitude. As long as you put in the time and effort on a consistent basis, you will be able to naturally engage in conversation in a very short period of time. Of course, we'll be here to guide you every step of the way.
Overview of the Polish Language
Polish is a West Slavic language spoken by approximately 40 million speakers worldwide. Despite being a Slavic language, standard Polish actually doesn't use the Cyrillic alphabet like most Slavic languages do. Instead, the Polish alphabet is based on the Latin alphabet system. So why is the Polish language widely regarded as such a difficult one to learn? In order to achieve Polish fluency, you will need to learn about many different rules that deal with genders, cases, aspects, conjugations, and more.
If you're starting to get a little intimidated by all this, take a deep breath. With our proven learning method developed by linguistics experts with years of Polish learning experience, you'll be able to master the Polish language much quicker without the struggle of not knowing where to start. Our Polish Alphabet Game not only provides a fun and easy way to learn Polish, you'll be able to read fluently in under an hour! In addition, we'll guide you through all the rules and help you to gradually solidify them into your memory as you put them into practice.
By setting incremental, realistic goals for yourself and sticking to them consistently, you can stay on track on your way to achieving Polish fluency while making tremendous progress. The key is to not only set realistic goals, but quantifiable or measurable ones. What does this mean? Your daily schedule shouldn't be something intangible or just a rough guideline for what you're going to be doing that day. Rather, set your schedule around tangible, quantifiable goals that allow you to achieve specific goals throughout the course of the day. Below are examples of goals you measurable, daily goals you can start implementing right away!
- Spend 20 minutes everyday to go through at least 20 sentences from Glossika's spaced repetition program to learn essential phrases while familiarizing yourself with the language's pronunciation, grammar, syntax, and vocabulary.
- If you have not yet mastered the Polish alphabet, spend around 30 minutes per day playing our Polish Alphabet Game. Aim to clear at least 20 levels!
- Learn at least 15 new vocabulary words each day. With a word bank of thousands of words, the Polish Alphabet Game is an excellent tool for expanding your vocabulary and learning new words. Simply translate them as you go along!
- Once you've completed learning the basics of how to read the Polish alphabet, start putting your new skills to the test by reading children's books or simple text for at least 20 minutes everyday.
- Never underestimate the power of immersion. Spend at least 30 minutes a day watching videos or listening to podcasts for maximum exposure to the language. By blocking out a time to completely immerse yourself in a Polish speaking environment, you will see a significant improvement in your language comprehension skills.
- When you feel like you're at a point where reading comes easy and you're able to go through various texts fairly quickly and comfortably, you can take your learning to the next level by practicing writing for approximately 30 minutes per day. For starters, try picking at least 10 sentences from your spaced repetition training and writing them out around 5-10 times each.
Those were a few solid examples of tangible goals that you can set for yourself on a daily basis so that you can stay on track and consistent in your learning. But first and foremost, let's get you started off on the right foot so that you can quickly master the basics of the Polish alphabet and begin learning how to read, write, listen, and speak. Take a look at the Polish alphabet infographic below to develop a solid foundation for the unique pronunciations for each of the letters in the Polish language.
The Polish Alphabet Game
If you've played our Russian Alphabet Game before, then you know just how effective this learning tool is for bridging the gap between language learners and languages that many people would consider to be too "foreign" or hard to learn. By forming a strong connection between English, a language that you are much more familiar and comfortable with, and Polish, a language that seems to be entirely outside of your comfort zone, you can approach Polish in a way that feels intuitive and natural.
Just like for Russian, many language learners found our Polish Alphabet Game to be extremely effective in learning how to read and becoming more familiar with the Polish language. Here's some feedback we've received on the Polish Alphabet Game!
- "When Glossika asked me to test out their new learning tool, I thought 'Why not? Couldn't hurt to try’ with no real expectation for anything significant. Boy, was I wrong. Before I knew it, I was reading Polish words accurately." -- Kenneth
- "It's funny. When I tried out Glossika's alphabet game, I just happened to be hanging out with my friend from Poland. She watched as I played and was actually amazed at how fast I was able to learn to read Polish!" -- Rose
- "After test running Glossika's Polish Alphabet Game, I went straight to Google to look up some Polish texts so I could put my newly acquired skills to the test. I recognized many words and short sentences just like that!" -- Marcus
Features of the Game
When you enter our Polish Alphabet Game, you'll notice that there are a number of different levels for you to go through. Simply start the first level and you'll be given a set of language rules for that particular level. For each word, apply the rules to accurately transcribe the word into a more familiar "English" pronunciation. I use that term tentatively because while the words are not being transcribed into actual English words, the sounds are so similar to English that the transcriptions can be used to learn proper pronunciation with ease. Once you've gotten 10 right, you can proceed to the next level.
Every time you get a word wrong, you will be given a reminder about the designated rule for that level. Each new rule will carry on to the next level, so there will be more rules to remember as you progress through the game. You can go back and replay previous levels as you wish at any stage of the game if you need to review any rules that you may have forgotten.
With a total of 18 levels, you'll go through each unique character of the Polish alphabet and learn their corresponding rules for each. After playing it through once in as little as an hour, you'll have acquired a good understanding of the basics of the Polish alphabet and how to start learning to read naturally and smoothly.
- Learn each letter of the Polish alphabet.
- Learn how to apply the different rules so you can read every word you come across.
- Word bank with thousands of words for a unique experience each time while building up your vocabulary.
- If you don't have time to finish the game, we automatically save your progress so you can come back whenever you want and pick up where you left off!
Start Reading Polish Immediately
The Polish Alphabet Game isn't just designed to bring you closer to the language and feel more comfortable with it. You will actually develop a solid foundation for the Polish language and gain the necessary skills required to read fluently and proficiently. Hopefully by now, we've dispelled any lingering doubts you might have had about learning Polish. Once you've tried the game out, you'll quickly realize that becoming fluent in the Polish language is actually easier than you could’ve imagined.
After taking the first step of playing the Polish Alphabet Game, you will have successfully gotten your foot in the door. Next, you can start learning new words and sentences for real-world conversations. So what are you waiting for? Start our Polish Alphabet Game and sign up for our newsletter for more updates and news on the latest language releases and special offers!